4 chicken legs with thighs
3-1/2 oz. bacon
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 bay leaves
2 juniper berries, crushed under a heavy knife blade
8 oz. Ackerland beer (or another dark beer)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 475°F.
2. Season the chicken legs. Put them in a shallow cast iron casserole with the bacon, bay leaves, unpeeled garlic, juimper berries and beer.
3. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
Turn the chicken over and cook another 20 minutes.
4. Turn again, baste with the juice and cook for a further 20 minutes. At this point the chicken should be dark brown and the garlic very soft.
5. Remove the chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
6. Squeeze the garlic out into the remaining sauce and mix. If there is liquid remaining, put the casserole over high heat and reduce to a rich, carmelized jus. Pour over the chicken
7. Serve with noodles.